Thursday, January 13, 2011

The spoon

The reality of life dictates that as we grow older we not only forget about things that once were our present but also how to think with the curiosity and innocence of youth. It maybe because we become so aware of our lives that we forget to live or maybe we allow the world in so much, we inevitably lose sight of simple joys. This is by no means a new thought for me but today, as I was shown a spoon in utter amazement, it resonated more than ever. The curious child to my left, who simply did not feel like eating, decided instead to observe the wonder of his reflection in his spoon. Much to his surprise, he discovered that on the back of the spoon his reflection was right side up but on the front it was upside down. His eyes were widened by his discovery and he just had to share the moment. At first I smiled but instead of enjoying the moment, I almost explaining away the magic of the spoon. I’m glad I chose not to, after all, we all deserve to believe in the magic and wonder of life for as long as possible, spoon or no spoon.

D.V.
January 13, 2011

No comments: