Monday, June 29, 2009

Firefly

I saw a firefly the other day land ever so still on the antenna of our truck and stayed there, as though mesmerized by something only it understood. Well needless to say it was such a beautiful sight I rushed in for my camera hoping with every step that it would not fly away before I had a chance to capture it and as luck would have it, it was still perched upon this antenna when I returned. I moved into position as carefully as I could and snapped my first photo, no good, the background of sky was too bright, I tried again, still no good...this time the angle was off. To my dread the firefly who had sat still for 2 photos flew away, my luck had run out but then just as quickly as it departed it returned and took its position back on the antenna. Fearing it may flee again I knew it was now or never, I focused and moved about till the image I saw was as perfect as the moment felt and I snapped my final photo. Yes! I quietly celebrated, I took the photo I wanted, just the way I wanted, I whispered a thank you to the firefly who was still perched in position and went and put my camera away. It wasn’t until after I uploaded my photo and took a closer look at it that it struck me, the antenna looks very similar to the firefly which made me wonder; Could it be that this little firefly chose to rest upon my antenna not for want of a breather but rather in search of a friend, a familiar and despite the cold, hard surface that was so obvious to me this firefly saw a characteristic similar to its own and chose not to see the rest... I suppose we could all take a lesson from the firefly on my antenna, I know there are times I certainly could.

Deo Volente
June 29, 2009

No comments: