Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Hollywoodized!

Have you ever read a book and loved it? As every line shackled you and with bated breath you simply could not wait to turn the page, romance novels do not count (personally I detest those things). I mean a book, a tale so riveting it plays like a movie in your mind. Assuming you said yes and the memory has come flooding back, you're smiling aren't you? now flip the script. Ever watched a movie of a book without reading the book and was captivated by it, so much so you could not wait to get your hands on the book? After all the book is always better right... au contraire.
I watched the movie " A walk to remember" more than a dozen times, having fallen in love with it from the first time I saw it. Over the years it has ranked as one of my favorite movies of all time. Well several months ago I got my hands on the book and a few weeks ago I read it. Let me tell you I was crushed, had I read the book then seen the movie who knows how I would feel. So I offer this advise to those who have seen and loved the movie, leave the book on the shelf or if you must read it, forget about the movie. The two are very different, in fact, the religious premiss of the book is almost completely removed. The similarities begin and end with the names of the characters, almost all else has been... dare I say, "hollywoodized!" I am not at all sure how I feel about that.

D.V.
10/22/14

No comments: