Friday, August 8, 2014

Empathy and the lack there of...

I watch the news or what snippet of it I can find each day, I have always been that way. In my youth I made a point to watch the year in review just to see if I had missed anything during the year. Lately I have had the hardest time watching the news for a few reasons. To begin with there is so much tragedy, hatred and cruelty. It's as though humans are caught in the grip of something sinister, I have a hard time listening to the broadcasters and or reporters. I would like to think that this is a turn of the screw, deeper yet no different than the turn before it but I can't. I have come to the conclusion that greed and lack of empathy seems to dictate the actions of so many, we as a human race are destined to rip each other to pieces. What happened to our world? I sit here thinking of a song by Lou Rawls that I loved long ago, maybe you know it, if not, it's worth looking up. It's called "What's the matter with the world" it goes on to say "has the world gone mad, nothing's wrong with the world, it's just the people that's in it" It all gives me pause; war, disease, murder and the list goes on. I just don't see the harm in the idea of live and let live but I suppose that would require empathy and not too many of us even understand what that means anymore.

Be well
Deo.

No comments: